To learn more about some of the approaches to Bible study introduced in B31 Refreshing Bible Study, click on one of the links below, grouped according to the related booklet chapter.
Chapter 3: Writing a Psalm
- For more information on the structure and character of the psalms, see:
David Clines: The Parallelism of Greater Precision: Notes from Isaiah
40 for a Theory of Hebrew Poetry. A significant scholarly contribution.
- General notes on the Psalms, including some comments on the poetry:
- David Clines: The Parallelism of Greater Precision: Notes from Isaiah
- Psalm writing did not stop with the Psalter. Later examples include
hymns and psalms found among the Dead Sea Scrolls at Qumran.
English Translation of the Psalms Scroll (Tehillim) 11Qps by J.A. Sanders
- Some have also written modern psalms. These vary greatly in the extent
to which they imitate the pattern of the Psalter, but they are all
intriguing and often moving examples of how the scriptures can be
Chapter 4: Engaging the Imagination
Below are links to find out more about the 'Godly play' Approach introduced in Chapter 4:
- www.lancepierson.org Lance Pierson is a London based performer, whose imaginative and gripping presentations bring the Bible to life. Among the performances in his repertoire is a 60-minute overview of the Bible, using a range of media, including poetry, acted scenes, and dramatic readings.
Copyright note to Chapter 4:
The poem "Judas, Peter" by Luci Shaw is © Luci Shaw, 1990, 2003 and is reproduced on p13 of the accompanying Grove booklet B31 Refreshing Bible Study by kind permission of the author: "Judas, Peter" in Polishing the Petoskey Stone (Regent College Publishing, Vancouver 1990, 2003) p 201
Chapter 5: Images at the Service of Bible Reading
Click here to view Holman Hunt's The Light of the World, referred to on p 20.
Chapter 5: Charting Scripture
Click on the links below to download two Word documents showing further examples of grammatical layouts of biblical passages: These files have been checked for viruses. However, as with all files downloaded from the Internet, we advise you to perform your own virus checking before using them.